Bổ sung thêm kiến thức ngữ pháp Tiếng Anh về các idioms (thành ngữ Tiếng Anh) ôn thi THPT Quốc Gia (Đại Học). Thích Tiếng tổng hợp “100 Thành ngữ Tiếng Anh thông dụng thường gặp ôn thi THPT Quốc Gia“. Bao gồm các thành ngữ thông dụng thường xuất hiện trong các bài thi Tiếng Anh, những thành ngữ cần chú ý học để làm tốt câu hỏi idioms trong đề thi Tiếng Anh THPT Quốc Gia
Các bạn chú ý: Idiom Rainning cats and dogs mới đầy đủ nhé, trong tài liệu thiếu từ raining
100 Idioms Tiếng Anh quan trọng
1.RAINNING CATS AND DOGS: rain heavily
–> It’s raining cats and dogs = It’s raining heavily
2. CHALK AND CHEESE: very different from each other : Khác biệt
–> I don’t have anything in common with my brother. We’re like chalk and cheese.
3. HERE AND THERE: everywhere
–> I have been looking here and there for thegift I bought for my girlfriend.
4. A HOT POTATO: something that is difficult ordangerous to deal with (vấn đề nan giải, nóng hổi)
–> The abortion issue is a political hot potatoin the US.
5. AT THE DROP OF THE HAT: immediately, instantly
–> If you need me, just call me. I can come atthe drop of a hat.
6.BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD: time to start from the beginning ; it is time toplan something over again (bắt đầu lại từ đầu)
–> My plans tocreate a tiny car made of glasses were unsuccessful, so I guess it is back tothe drawing board.
7. BEAT ABOUT/AROUND THE BUSH: avoiding the main topic, not speaking directly about the issue. (nói vòng vo, không vô vấn đề chính)
–> Stop beatingabout the bush and answer myquestion.
8. BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD: a good inventionor innovation; a good idea or plan. (ý tưởng hay, tốt)
–> Portable phones are marketed as the bestthing since sliced bread; people think they are extremely good.
9. BURN THE MIDNIGHT OIL: to stay up working,especially studying late at night (thức khuya làm việc, học bài)
–> I will have a big exam tomorrow so I’ll beburning the midnight oil tonight.
10. CAUGHT BETWEEN TWO STOOLS: when someone findsit difficult to choose between two alternatives (lưỡng lự, không biết lựa chọncái nào, do dự)
–> I was caught between two stools when I hadto choose which shirt to hang out with my girlfriends.
11.BREAK A LEG = Chúc may mắn
12. HIT THE BOOKS = học tập
13. LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG: to reveal a secret or a surprise by accident ( để lộ bí mật)
–> It’s asecret. Try not to let the cat out of the bag.
14. WHEN PIGS FLY =something will never happen (chuyện viễn vông, không tưởng)
15. SCRATCH SOMEONE’S BACK: helpsomeone out with the assumption that they will return the favor in the future(giúp ai với mong muốn sau này người ta sẽ giúp lại mình)
–> “You scratch my back and I will scratchyours,” the customer said when we talked about the new sales contact.
16.HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD: do or say something exactly right (đoán, nói trúngphóc)
–> Mike hit thenail on the head when he said most people can use a computer without knowinghow it works.
17. TAKESOMEONE/SOMETHING FOR GRANTED: coi nhẹ
–> One of theproblems with relationships is that after a while you begin to take each otherfor granted.
18. TAKE SOMETHINGINTO ACCOUNT/CONSIDERATION: toremember to consider something (tính đến cái gì)
–> We will take your long years of service intoaccount when we make our final decision.
19. KEEP AN EYE ON SB/STH: để ý, để tâm đến ai
–> Please keep an eye on my baby while I amout.
20. PUT SOMEONE/SOMETHING AT SOMEONE’S DISPOSAL: tomake someone or something available to someone (có sẵn cho ai sử dụng theo ýmuốn)
–> I’d be glad to help you if you need me. Iput myself at your disposal.
21.SPLITTING HEADACHE (N): a severe headache (đau đầu như búa bổ)
–> I’ve got asplitting headache. I’m going upstairs for a nap.
22. OFF THE PEG:may sẵn (quần áo)
–> If I buytrousers off the peg, they’re always too short.
23. ON THE HOUSE:không phải trả tiền
–> I went to arestaurant last night. I was the ten thousandth customer, so my dinner was onthe house.
24. HIT THE ROOF = GO THROUGH THE ROOF = HIT THECEILING: to suddenly become angry (giận dữ)
–> I’m afraid he will hit the roof when hefinds out our vacation is cancelled.
25. BRING DOWN THE HOUSE: làm cho cả khán phòng vỗtay nhiệt liệt
–> Bin’s voice brought the house down. Hereally brought down the house with his fantastic song.
26.PAY THROUGH THE NOSE: to pay too much for something (trả giá đắt)
–> If you wantdecent wine in a restaurant, you will have to pay through the nose for it.
27. BY THE SKIN OFONE’S TEETH: sát sao
–> I gotthrough calculus class by the skin of my teeth.
–> I got to theairport a few minutes late and missed the plan by the skin of my teeth.
28. PULL SOMEONE’SLEG: chọc ai
–> You don’t mean that.You’re just pulling my leg.
29. IT STRIKE SB AS/THAT A STRANGE: lấy làm lạ
–> I stroke me as a strange when he came toclass early this morning.
30. HIGH AND LOW = HERE AND THERE: everywhere
–> I have been searching high and low for thegift I bought for Hà An for a whole day.
31.THE MORE, THE MERRIER: càng đông, càng vui
–> Of courseyou can have a ride with us! The more, the merrier.
32. SPICK AND SPAN:ngăn nắp, gọn gàng
–> The kitchenwas spick and span as ever, every surface wiped down and everything in itsplace.
33. EVERY NOW AND THEN = sometimes
–> Every nowand then, I want to be alone.
34. PART AND PARCEL: integral, crucial (quan trọng,thiết yếu)
–> Being recognised in the street is all partand parcel of being famous.
35. GO TO ONE’S HEAD: khiến ai kiêu ngạo
–> Don’t let all this praises go to your head.
–> Too much success will go to her head.
36.BE ON THE WAGON: kiêng rượu
–> Bob’s olddrinking buddies complained that he was no fun when he went on the wagon.
37. ONCE IN A BLUE MOON: rất hiếm
–> Once in ablue moon, I stop thinking about her. If only she knew how much I love her.
38. ON THE SPOT:immediately (ngay lập tức)
–> I will bethere on the spot.
39. FEW AND FAR BETWEEN: hiếm gặp
–> Go and tell her that you love her! That kindof girl is really few and far between.
40. ON THE VERGE OF = ON THE BRINK OF = IN THE EDGE: bên bờ vực (cẩn thận với giới từ “on” và “in” nhé!)
–> We have to protect elephants. They are onthe verge of extinction.
41.LEAD SOMEBODY BY THE NOSE: to control someone and make them do exactly what youwant them to do (nắm đầu, dắt mũi ai)
–> They simply didn’t know what they were doing and they were led by the nose by amanipulative government
42. AT THE ELEVENTH HOUR: vào phút chót
–> She alwaysturned her term paper in at the eleventh hour.
43. FIND FAULT WITH: chỉ trích, kiếm chuyện, bắt lỗi
–> It is very easy to find fault with the workothers.
44. OFF AND ON/ ON AND OFF: không đều đặn, thỉnh thoảng
–> We don’t often go there- just off and on.
45. MAKE BELIEVE: giả bộ, giả vờ
–> I tried to make believe she was happy, butknew deep down it was not true.
46. MAKE GOOD TIME: di chuyển nhanh, đi nhanh.
–> We made good time and were at the hotel bylunch time.
47. LOOK DAGGERS AT SOMEONE: giận giữ nhìn ai đó
–> Their relationship is not free and easy butat least he is no longer looking daggers at her.
48. BE OUT OF THE QUESTION: không thể được
–> You cannot get married until you are 18,it’s out of the question.
49. ALL AT ONCE = suddenly: bất thình lình
–> All at once, there was a loud banging on thedoor.
50. BLOW ONE’S TRUMPET: bốc phét, khoác lác
–> Anyone will tell you she’s one of the bestjournalist we’ve got, although she’d never blow her trumpet.
51.SLEEP ON IT: suy nghĩ thêm về điều gì đó.