Đề thi thử Tiếng Anh 2019 do trường THPT Đào Duy Từ thành phố Hà Nội tổ chức thi lần 2 có đáp án và giải thích chi tiết
Trích từ đề thi
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 1 to 5.
The invention of the electric telegraph gave birth to the communications industry. Although Samuel B.Morse succeeded in making the invention useful in 1837, it was not until 1843 that the first telegraph line of consequence was constructed. By 1860 more than 50,000 miles of lines connected people east of the Rockies. The following year, San Francisco was added to the network.
The national telegraph network fortified the ties between East and West and contributed to the rapid expansion of the railroads by providing an efficient means to monitor schedules and routes. Furthermore, the extension of the telegraph, combined with the invention of the steam–driven rotary printing press by Richard M. Hoe in 1846, revolutionized the world of journalism. Where the business of news gathering had been dependent upon the mail and on hand–operated presses, the telegraph expanded the amount of information a newspaper could supply and allowed for more timely reporting. The establishment of the Associated Press as a central wire service in 1846 marked the advent of a new era in journalism.
Question 1: The main topic of the passage is .
- the history of journalism
- the origin of the national telegraph
- how the telegraph network contributed to the expansion of railroads
- the contributions and development of the telegraph network
Question 2: The word “gathering” in the second paragraph refers to .
- people B. information C. objects D. substances
Question 3: The author’s main purpose in this passage is to .
- compare the invention of the telegraph with the invention of the steam–driven rotary press
- propose new ways to develop the communications industry
- show how the electric telegraph affected the communications industry
- criticize Samuel B. Morse
Question 4: It can be inferred from the passage that .
- Samuel Morse did not make a significant contribution to the communications industry
- Morse’s invention did not immediately achieve its full potential
- The extension of the telegraph was more important than its invention
- Journalists have the Associated Press to thank for the birth of the communications industry
Question 5: According to the passage, which of the following is NOT true about the growth of the communications industry?
- Morse invented the telegraph in
- People could use the telegraph in San Francisco in
- The telegraph led to the invention of the rotary printing
- The telegraph helped connect the entire